Wednesday, April 20, 2016

Getting Back to It!

Well, it's back to the grind tomorrow! After a near two month hiatus from racing, I'm here in Arkansas for Joe Martin. Last time I raced this was 2009. I don't really remember it at all, but from what I've seen thus far, it will be a good race. The opening TT is a stiff 5km time trial climbing out of the bottom of Devil's Den state park. It has 8 switchbacks in the first 3km, followed by a short downhill, and then a last 800m kick to the finish. It will be a solid way to blow the cobwebs out for sure. We have a strong team and also the defending champion in John Murphy. We're certainly hoping to repeat with the overall and some stage wins. Send some strong vibes our way!

A couple interesting notes about this race. First is that we're staying at host housing, which I haven't been in since Utah of 2009. It is a really fun change of pace actually! For example, tonight I'm sitting on a reclined couch in the living room, watching TV, and socializing with my host family. It is a completely different dynamic than sitting in a hotel. The second really interesting dynamic of this race is that my brother-in-law, Tim, will be racing with/against me in this race! It's pretty crazy that he's made such progress in the sport that now we're racing together. I just hope he'll take it easy on me! :) I guess the real question is who will Lisa and her parents be cheering for? At least I know Noah will be on daddy's side! Alright, it's off to sleep here. 

1 comment:

Lisa Busche said...

I don't know Daddy. Uncle Tim is a pretty cool guy. Noah may have some tough decisions to make... ;)